Baked Carmel Corn
from Jiffy Pop
• 1 C (2 sticks) butter
• 2 C brown sugar, packed
• ½ C light or dark corn syrup
• 1 tsp. salt (½ tsp. more if using unsalted butter)
• ½ tsp. baking soda
• 1 tsp. vanilla
Pre-heat oven to 250°F. In medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to simmer; boil without stirring 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in soda and vanilla. Gradually pour over popped popcorn, mixing well. Turn into 2 large shallow baking or roasting pans. (I use a large disposable turkey pan) Bake at 250°F 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove from oven; cool completely. Break apart and store in tightly covered container. Makes about 5 qts. caramel corn.
Helpful Hints I’ve collected through the years:
• You’ll need a very large bowl to make this–at least 24 C.
• If using a candy thermometer, keep the temperature in the 260-264°F range, removing from heat a little early, if necessary. Any higher than 264°F and the caramel becomes difficult to work with.
• I like to line my baking pans with non-stick foil so more of the caramel sticks to the popcorn instead of the pan. A very wee bit of Pam does the trick, too.